[png-mng-implement] undefined symbol: png_mmx_support
Joerg Nowak
2006-08-10 13:59:01 UTC
Hello png_list,

I'm trying to use the stripchart script

If I start
./stripchart -i /home/alpha/stripchart/in/load -B -o
/home/alpha/html/user/img/load.png -s -f -1 -T "Server load"

I get the error:
/usr/bin/gnuplot: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libpng.so.3: undefined
symbol: png_mmx_support

I have installed:
gnuplot 4 p0
libpng 1.2.12
libz

Any ideas how to solve it ?
Jörg
g***@comcast.net
2006-08-10 14:32:14 UTC
If you installed them in the order you mentioned (gnuplot, libpng, libz) you might
have used an old pngconf.h while building gnuplot.

You don't say how you installed libpng (configure or makefile).

Jörg
Joerg Nowak
2006-08-10 14:45:55 UTC
The order was libz, libpng, gnuplot. libpng I installed with configure.
gnuplot I installed with yast.

Is it enough to replace pngconf.h and install again ? From where can I get
the correct header file ?

Joerg
Post by Joerg Nowak
Hello png_list,
I'm trying to use the stripchart script
If I start
./stripchart -i /home/alpha/stripchart/in/load -B -o
/home/alpha/html/user/img/load.png -s -f -1 -T "Server load"
undefined
Post by Joerg Nowak
symbol: png_mmx_support
gnuplot 4 p0
libpng 1.2.12
libz
Any ideas how to solve it ?
--
Jörg
Jörg
g***@comcast.net
2006-08-10 15:04:50 UTC
Post by Joerg Nowak
The order was libz, libpng, gnuplot
OK, that's correct.

You could try using -lpng12 instead of -lpng whild building gnuplot, but I expect it will give you the same result.

Glenn
Joerg Nowak
2006-08-10 18:42:51 UTC
Again me.

I was telling it wrong:

There is a file configure but it tells to use "make test" and "make
install".

I used a makefile to install libpgn (makefile.linux in /script ). My system
is Suse 9.3 x86_64.

make test failed with the error:
gcc -o pngtest -I../zlib -Wall -O3 -funroll-loops pngtest.o -L.
-Wl,-rpath,. -L../zlib -Wl,-rpath,../zlib -lpng12 -lz -lm
./libpng12.so: undefined reference to `png_read_filter_row'
./libpng12.so: undefined reference to `png_mmx_support'
./libpng12.so: undefined reference to `png_combine_row'
./libpng12.so: undefined reference to `png_do_read_interlace'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [pngtest] Error 1

But afterwards "make install" works without errors but with the problems I
descripted below:

/usr/bin/gnuplot: symbol lookup error: /usr/local/lib/libpng.so.3:
undefined symbol: png_mmx_support

Who can help ?
--
Joerg
Post by g***@comcast.net
Post by Joerg Nowak
The order was libz, libpng, gnuplot
OK, that's correct.
You could try using -lpng12 instead of -lpng whild building gnuplot, but I
expect it will give you the same result.
Glenn
development and use of libpng and libmng" <
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 14:45:58 +0000
Post by Joerg Nowak
Hello png_list,
I'm trying to use the stripchart script
If I start
./stripchart -i /home/alpha/stripchart/in/load -B -o
/home/alpha/html/user/img/load.png -s -f -1 -T "Server load"
undefined
Post by Joerg Nowak
symbol: png_mmx_support
gnuplot 4 p0
libpng 1.2.12
libz
Any ideas how to solve it ?
--
Jörg
Jörg
Andrew Smith
2006-08-10 20:09:19 UTC
Post by Joerg Nowak
Again me.
There is a file configure but it tells to use "make test" and "mak=
e=20
Post by Joerg Nowak
install".
I used a makefile to install libpgn (makefile.linux in /script ). M=
y=20
Post by Joerg Nowak
system is Suse 9.3 x86_64.
gcc -o pngtest -I../zlib -Wall -O3 -funroll-loops pngtest.o -L.=
=20
Post by Joerg Nowak
undefined symbol: png_mmx_support
Who can help ?
=20
--=20
Joerg
hi

sorry for butting in, i'm no libpng expert so i might be talking=20
nonesense but i've been working with libpng all this summer.

those functions you're getting errors for about are critical to libpn=
g.=20
it won't work without them. i don't get these errors on slackware 10.=
2=20
(which is just about the same os as suse).

if i recall correctly, all of these have several versions (which one =
is=20
used depends on the makefile i guess). are you passing any options to=
=20
configure?

andrew
Glenn Randers-Pehrson
2006-08-11 12:12:28 UTC
Try adding the following line, 2 lines from the end of makefile.linux:

pnggccrd.o pnggccrd.pic.o: png.h pngconf.h

Then rebuild libpng.

If that doesn't work, then try using
makefile.gcmmx instead of makefile.linux

Glenn
Joerg Nowak
2006-08-11 12:22:20 UTC
Thanks a lot for the hints.
For the moment I installed an older libpng rpm package (Version 1.2.8) for
my Suse 9.3 x86_64 system and then gnuplot again and afterwards it was
working.
But I will try it with version 1.2.12 again.

Joerg